Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Letter from the Editor, May 2007


Admittedly, the themes here at Estella's Revenge are largely a result of our whims (Heather and myself) at any given time. For instance, when I came up with the theme, "truth" it was because I've been on a non-fiction kick for months. One would think, since I've been a reader for a good solid 20 years now, that I would know my own tastes, but perhaps all bibliophiles make these little discoveries on occasion. Quite simply, I've discovered that when my life feels utterly cluttered and out of control, I like reading non-fiction.

Who knew?

For years I've been staving off reading slumps--often stress-induced--by throwing myself into fiction, only to find that as soon as I open the book my attention span shrinks to the size of a peanut and I toss a number of books aside in fits of fatique and frustration. Which inevitably causes more stress. To my surprise, non-fiction doesn't have that effect on me. Particularly, I've found that I enjoy reading memoirs when my life is tough. Why not take on someone else's experience, right?

So it was this new appreciation for non-fiction that prompted this month's theme, and I'm really excited by the ways the writers have chosen to interpret the "truth." Be assured, if you're more of a fiction person, there's still plenty in this issue for you.

Before we get to this month's issue, a quick bit of housekeeping.

Estella's Revenge is currently seeking reviewers with a broad range of reading tastes. I spend a good bit of time each week soliciting review copies of books from large and small publishing houses, not to mention the review copies we receive from PR folks and authors themselves. If you're interested in reviewing for us, please read the "Call for Writers" over on the sidebar and send a writing sample to estellabooks(at)gmail(dot)com.

Note: I apologize for the lack of eye candy on some of our pieces. As I was doing final formatting for the issue Blogger decided to backfire. I'll have more images up ASAP.

Happy reading,

Andi

Table of Contents (click to go directly to a piece)

Interviews:

Feature Articles:

Columns:

Reviews:

Goodies:

No comments: