Thursday, January 1, 2009

Two Books By Georgette Heyer

Charity Girl

by Georgette Heyer

Sourcebooks Casablanca

Reviewed by Heather F.


When Sourcebooks offered up some Georgette Heyer novels for review, I jumped at the chance. For the past few years, I've seen Heyer's name mentioned on many book blogs and I just knew I had to try her. I took Charity Girl and read it voraciously in only 3 days.


Charity Girl feels very much like a Jane Austen novel. It's a delightfully mad romp through Regency England that tickles the funny bone. Viscount Desford is a charming rogue of a man. Young, handsome, rich; he's everything a woman could want in a man, but to his parents' chagrin, he refuses to settle down and marry. However, a chance encounter with young Charity Steane at a party may change everything.


I just adored this book. It wasn't quite as witty as Austen, but nonetheless it was wonderful. The tongue-in-cheek humor was fantastic. The characters were all so funny and sweet. I highly recommend it to Jane Austen and/or Regency England fans.



Regency Buck
by Georgette Heyer
Sourcebooks Casablanca
reviewed by MizB

At first I thought I wasn't going to like this book. First off, because I'm apparently biased -- Gaelen Foley has spoiled me with her excellently-written Regency romances, and it's hard to find anything that lives up to those.

But, Ms. Heyer has a loyal following, so I made sure to give her book a fair chance. Sure enough, the story got better once it got going, and I ended up enjoying it.

I really found Ms.Taverner/Judith to be very prissy in the beginning, and I didn't like her much. But, as the story progressed, the gal grew on me, and I ended up rooting for her. Lord Worth was just the right amounts of annoying, yet mysterious.

Overall, this was a good book, and I would recommend it to others. I'm not sure if I'll try another book by this author, though. I have one in my collection but only time will tell.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I read a lot of Heyer when I was in high school and college. Yes, she's not as good as Austen, but she wrote a heck of a lot more titles. And for someone starved for decent reading material it was quantity that counted.